MCDM can be defined as the study of methods and procedures by which concerns about multiple conflicting criteria can be formally incorporated into the management planning process.
The purposes of the Society are to develop, test, evaluate and apply methodologies for solving multiple criteria decision making problems, to foster interaction and research in the scientific field of multiple criteria decision making, and to cooperate with other organizations in the study of management from a quantitative perspective. These purposes are to be carried out by:
- facilitating communications,
- providing academic assistance with ideas, methods and contacts whenever and wherever needed,
- sponsoring international conferences for the dissemination of results,
- encouraging special purpose workshops and student exchanges,
- publishing the electronic newsletter and
- encouraging an environment of international colleagueship and friendship across the globe.